Saturday, October 4, 2008

An introduction

Who am I?
-An adventure loving sailor who has tramped the world and experienced the vagaries of the ocean
-An Engineer who has been a master technician at work
-A Manager who has shown exemplary leadership while leading a multinational- multifunctional staff
-An athlete who has developed mastery in karate
-A MBA who can analyze, strategize and crack cases

In reality I am all of the above and much more. I have thrived upon and thoroughly enjoyed the diverse settings that I have been exposed to in life. Each one of them has added a dimension to my personality and made me the person I am.

Life at sea: My experience as a marine engineer has been a steep learning curve. The early days at sea made me realize the fruits of hard work and perseverance. It taught me the dignity of labor & the importance of showing respect to & valuing individuals. As I progressed rapidly through the ranks, I picked up leadership and team skills on the way. I also got opportunities to interact with & manage clients from the world over. This rich and diverse experience served to instill in me the ability to touch base with and establish sound relationships with people from variegated backgrounds.
An ocean liner is a daunting place to be in and the challenges that I faced at every step tested my skills to the full extent. From extreme sea sickness, to the strict timelines that my team had to adhere to while complete tasks, to handing team conflicts and leading teams in crisis situations such dealing with a potentially life threatening inferno – each of these experiences imparted a degree of toughness and the determination to excel against all odds in me...

Life at ISB: Coming back to mainstream education after 5.5 year break has been a real pleasure and ISB has been the ‘land of opportunities’ for me. The biggest opportunity is in the form of a very rich and exclusive peer community that allows me to interact with a class consisting of rocket scientists, investment bankers and consultants, and compete on the sports field with the ex-captain of Indian hockey, and many others. Other aspects of this opportunity are in the form of learning key concepts in management from world class faculty, and meeting and interacting with eminent personalities from the business world globally. Participating in prestigious competitions like Numero Uno has also been a part of the opportunity that ISB has presented me with. ISB has introduced me to totally new bodies of knowledge such as finance which I took to like fish takes to water & that has strengthened the otherwise hobbyist interest that I had in those subjects.
During my time at ISB, I have tried to capitalize as much as possible on these opportunities and this has aided my personal development.

Karate and me: Another critical component of my personality comes from my involvement with Karate. Karate taught me to seek self perfection and to train my mind to have a strong control over my body. At an early stage in life, Karate gave me an opportunity to experience management first hand. I handled a branch of my institution, teaching the art, handling students, promotions, personal relations, and admin issues.

Fine arts: Another dimension to my personality comes from my exposure to Karnatic music. I have enjoyed playing the Mridangam, a classical percussion instrument at various public recitals.

As I look back on the life that I have so far led, I find a sense of contentment in the learning that each and every experience has provided me, and that has prepared me well enough to take on challenges in future with a panache. Life beckons and I am ready as ever.

1 comment:

Roberto said...

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in the wide oceans and ports of call. Those unique experiences must give such a distinct and fresh perspective. Hope we can get acquainted during your weekend at IIMB. -- Roberto